Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Festivals.

There are many types of festivals; it can be a tradition type of festivals or music festivals.

Here in Malaysia, there are a sum of more than one religion and beliefs and therefore, I’m going to talk about the festivals in Malaysia.

Last Sunday on the 14th of February was Valentines Day and Chinese New year. Every year, the Chinese all over the world would celebrate Chinese New Year where they’d reunite with all of their families and friends. On Monday, the 15th February, I was invited to my friend, Tricia’s Chinese New Year’s open house and to be honest; this was my first time celebrating Chinese New Year at a friend’s house.

I’ve always wondered what celebrating Chinese New Year would be like and from what I see; it’s quite similar to how I celebrate Hari raya except the food were different of course.

Before feasting on the food, we were served to a dish called ‘Yee Sang’. It’s symbolized for ‘good luck’ as we would then tossed the ingredient of the food around the plate with chopsticks. It’s believed that the higher you toss the dish, the more luck you’d get.

I really did enjoy myself on that day and to my surprise, my friends and myself got angpau from Tricia’s parents.

And also I’m definitely excited for hari raya this year because that would be the time I’ll be back in my lovely hometown, Singapore. I’m definitely looking forward to my auntie’s delicious food that she cooks every year and of course the raya money that we’d get every year. I love hari raya the most because I’ll get to spend it with my cousins back home. I enjoy going around the streets of Singapore wearing our baju kurung visiting houses, eating the good food and sweets.

Therefore sooner this year will also be Deepavli for the Indians, where it’s called ‘Festival Of Lights’. I also think Deepavli is one of the nicest festivals in Malaysia with the decorations, dancing and the prettiest lights around. I also think its quite creative how they’d take up their time to form a kolam right outside their house with colouful rice to form exquisite designs.

I love Festivals :D

No comments:

Post a Comment